NEW YORK STORIES
THREE ONE ACT OPERAS
Music: Daron Hagen | Words: Daron Hagen and Barbara Grecki
These three intimate stories are based on the experiences of real people. The music and libretto weaves all of their lives together. Conceived as a trilogy for performance both together and seperately, the first skit is piquant and romantic, the second is dark and funny by turns, the third is warmly domestic and ends with a delightful twist. The trilogy is intended for young artist training programs at universities and professional opera companies. Chamber orchestra accompaniments are available, but piano accompaniment is preferred. Staging in a traditional theater is not preferable to site-specific stagings in private homes or public spaces.
Pamela, a thirty-something divorcee, lives alone in a one bedroom apartment on the Upper West Side. She's been waiting for months for the tile man to come and fix the broken tiles in her bathroom. Antonio, a middle-aged Italian immigrant, arrives to do the work.
JUST FOR THE NIGHT
Babs, a single socialite of a certain age and wealth living in a luxurious penthouse on the Upper East Side, receives an unexpected visit from her brother Chip on Christmas Eve, and, out of self-preservation, turns him away.
Mama and Papa, a young composer couple living in a tiny studio apartment in the East Village, arrive home after an evening out and begin the extended pas de deux of getting their infant child down for the night.
- 3 Acts / 60 mins.
- First Complete (Piano) Premiere: Kentucky Opera / Daron Hagen / Joey Mechavich / Lisa Hasson
- Other Notable Performances: USC Opera - Los Angeles, CA, 3/8/05 - BP; Brooklyn Conservatory - Brooklyn, NY, 5/20/05 - BP; Music on the Edge - Pittsburgh, PA, 2/19/07 - BP; Boston Opera Underground - Boston, MA, 2/13/08 - BP; Prism Ensemble - New York, NY, 4/7/08 - JFTN; UO Opera & Eugene Opera - Symphony Space, NYC 5/4/08 - BP; UO Opera & Eugene Opera - Eugene, OR, 5/30/08 - BP; University of Puget Sound - Tacoma, WA, 10/21/08 - CS; Seasons Music Festival - Yakima, WA, 10/26/08 - CS*; Long Leaf Opera - Chapel Hill, NC, 6/17/09 - NYS; Kentucky Opera - Louisville, KY, 10/30/10 - NYS; Chicago Opera Theater - Chicago, IL, 11/1/11 - NYS; Chicago College of Perf. Arts - Chicago, IL, 11/11-12/11 - NYS; Butler Opera Center - Austin, TX, 2/24-26 & 3/2-4/12 - NYS
- Buy the Score or Libretto
- Request licensing info & perusal materials
- View Production Stills
The three one act playlets are crafted for college-age singers and may be sung by the same pait of singers, double-, or triple-cast.
- Pamela / Babs / Mama (soprano)
- Antonio / Chip / Papa (baritone / tenor)
Version 1: Piano
Version 2 (13 players):